|Scope & Content||
Mr. Robert Campbell
Care of Gill Campbell & Co.
Sulphur Springs St. Louis MO Nov. 22 1835
After writing to you from Fulton I returned to Columbia where I remained nearly one week took deposition etc. and then ______ mine. I gave him one hundred dollars & paid the cost which altogether will be about $1.50 which I thought best. I then paid a visit to the prairie [?] below see Miss Moss but did not have any today as there was none in Columbia until the night before I left and then I was otherwise engaged.
I traded with Mr. Burch for five Negroes a woman and 4 children which I gave two thousand dollars for. I brought back home with me the Boy Silas. Burch intends setting out south in a few days with a drove of Horses which I think is about his last Gaps [underlined].
I then came to Mr. Cooks where I found all well uncle & Aunt had just got back from Kentucky. I remained there one day and then came home two or three days since.
I found all well here, but my work has not progessed overly fast as the weather has been bad, and is now snowing and blowing at a tremendous rate from appearances it is now at least six inches in depth at present & God knows when it will stops.
I received a letter from Hugh on yesterday who gave me the first account of you since we parted Dated Nov 6th he states that you
[Pg. Break] can't quit your old practice of getting over the fire yet (its hard to be a shaker & Ohio quaker) I you know never [?]______ any one and you know you dont allow [spelled alow] me to say so of you if I was so inclined [spelled enclined].
Hugh informs me he will leave for sweet Ireland in a few days a speedy return and a pleasant run.
Times in St. Louis is about the same as when you left as fair as Illinois for I have not been out much as the weather has been bad. Milton & Trach is at the Missouri Hotel and speaks of going up to Mr. Cooks to [?]______ the American Fur Co. has been paying off some of their drafts and getting the man to wait for the rest until spring. I mentioned the Rocky Mountain Fur Co. note to them they said they had paid out until they could do so no more but I have no doubt but I can secure it by waiting until spring as soon as it becomes due I will present it and know what can be done.
Capt. Stewart is in St. louis and tells of going to the mountains in the spring not for trade but for his own amusement. I think Indians good will be some what in demand here in the spring but to no great amount as there will likely be several little out fits made up it [looks?]____ of at present.
Soloman is still on the firm with Mr.____ [left blank in letter]. I have been talking to him abut matters I think there is an opening now in Independence for a small clothing store to the amount of 2 or 3000$ worth for a beginning.
[Pg. Break] That is clothing shoes etc. the clothing ought to be of a low price I think. I state this to you and will write you soon again that as you are passing about you can see what can be done in that way. As soon as the weather clears up a little I will look around and give you all the news.
Milton I waiting anxiously for his brother [?]___ John Kerr left here a few days since for Phila.
My respects to Mary and others.
Yours until death
Robt. Campbell Esqr.
Mrs. Kyle left here for Ireland and I have had no word from her since.
I heard of Negroes & Indians on the south for of the Platt as the company see some of their men who had left but hoping all well.